This time we will talk about Slack and how to forward the SMS to one or multiple Slack channels easily with #smsToSlack Android application (click to download .apk file).
First, let's understand why would we need to redirect SMS to Slack?
Below are the potential reasons that describe different use cases:
- Having a shared phone number among team members that is used to perform actions confirmation on different service platforms - like receiving TAN codes.
- In case you have an application that uses SMS channel to communicate with the user it would be comfy to redirect SMS to Slack channel and check that application functionality works well without pinging colleagues or interacting with the physical devices.
- Any other use case you can come up with, including sending multiple SMS into multiple Slack channels.
Important benefits of #smsToSlack application are:
- Multiple Slack Channels redirection support.
- Possibility to create Redirection Rules for SMS redirection based on sender name or on the phone number.
- It is running even after it was killed manually or by the Android operation system.
- Application process is started automatically after device reboot.
See how-to video about #smsToSlack application:
When use case is found we can follow up and proceed with the Slack setup.
Setting up Slack
We would need:
- The Slack team workspace.
- Enabled Incoming WebHook for a channel or for a single user.
We assume that the Slack workspace exists and directly jump into setting up Incoming WebHook.
Enabling Incoming WebHook
- In Slack applications section search for Incoming WebHooks
- From Incoming WebHooks page click Add configuration
Inside WebHook configuration select channel or user. It can be overridden later.
after click Add Incoming WebHook integration button.
And finally Save your Settings:
Installing #smsToSlack Android application
- On mobile device enable Install unknown apps option.
- Click the #smsToSlack link and install the .apk file.
Using #smsToSlack Android application
- The first step you need to do after application launch is to add a Channel:
- After clicking + button, you would be asked for SMS permission:
In Add Channel screen provide existing Slack Channel name and WebHook:
- Save your changes:
- After that you are ready to add the SMS Redirection Rules. Open menu drawer and navigate to Redirection Rules. Each Redirection Rule costs 14.99 CHF. Tap + button to start adding the Rule:
- In Add Rule screen provide Rule name, select one of the added Channel you want to redirect SMS to, provide SMS Sender name or Phone number. Save your changes - at this moment you will be asked to make a payment by using the credit card:
- If payment was successful new Redirection Rule will appear in Redirection Rules list:
From the moment the first Redirection Rule is created, #smsToSlack application starts listening for incoming SMS and forward it to Slack application based on the Rules.